Wednesday 11 May 2011

the poor will inherit the Kingdom to come


I’m beginning to apprehend what Mother referred to by the poverty of the Cross. Of being thirsty, of being alone, of being in pain. 

From villages to slums to red-light districts, I can already feel the weight of the crucible in making this home. Being an ocean and a half away from everyone that understands my scars and dreams… being so clouded in the emptiness that doubts my belief… I really do feel like a man who’s lost all or at least most of it. 

I pray that I start to see the blessing in it.

--------------------------------------

I know what it’s like to live in richness,
I know what it’s like to dwell in poverty.

I know what it’s like to have the best of friends,
I know what it’s like to be rejected.

I know what it’s like to be in front of thousands,
I know what it’s like to be lonely in four walls.

i know what it's like to relive memories,
i know what it's like to try and forget.

I know what it’s like to eat my fill,
I know what it’s like to go hungry.

I know what it’s like to create fads,
I know what it’s like to care less about appearance.

I know what it’s like to play sold-out rock shows,
I know what it’s like to not have anyone to listen.

--------------------------------------

I mean, I knew it would be hard. I just didn't think it would be this hard. There is a suffering that grows deeper as the days go by. I guess I'm more brittle than brave.

I don’t want to wake up one day and call this existence.  I don't want the presence of the orphan, the trafficked, the dying and the destitute to become normal. I’m hoping for a new reality.
 I know that hope is on our side.

"The poor will inherit the kingdom to come" - Jason Upton

1 comment:

  1. Jobin,

    I love you.

    This post reminds me of a quote I will now butcher. Essentially it says that we can always tell what side of oppression we are on by how we respond to the idea of God's judgment. Even if we are slightly uneasy about his judgment coming, than we are for sure on the oppressive and not the victimized side of injustice. Unless our whole being longs for judgment to come NOW, than we are not the victims but perpetrators of injustice.

    I hope and pray that these deep experiences of the brokenness that injustice causes will drive you to cry out: Come now Lord Jesus! Make this world just again. If not NOW, then for God's sake SOON!

    Hold on to Him for He is just.

    With much love,

    Dave

    ReplyDelete